Let’s talk about our favorite badass female protagonists, shall we?
I’ve already mentioned how I adore heroines who are strong and intelligent. I’m gonna list a couple of my favorite badass female protags in each category, but this is by no means a full list. I just don’t want to sound like a broken record.
Heroines displaying baddass resourcefullness and intelligence that get them out of tough situations:
- Hermione Granger – Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- Sydney Sage – Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead
Heroines with true badass physical strength/abilities:
- Rose Hathaway – Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
- Faythe Sanders – Shifters series by Rachel Vincent
Heroines who have badass inner strength and protect the ones they love selflessly:
- Claire Fraser – Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
- Katniss Everdeen – Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
I love a female protagonist who is both fierce and vulnerable. Compassionate and intelligent. Here are few that make my list of best badass female leads:
Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games
Claire Fraser from Outlander
Tatiana Metanova from The Bronze Horseman
Maddie and Julie from Code Name Verity
Sure, there are the usual females on the lists. Hermione, Katniss, Claire Fraser and Tris from Divergent stand out among the best. But let’s try some more obscure female protagonists.
- Calaena from Throne of Glass – a kick-butt assassin.
- Davy from the Uninvited series – she doesn’t start out as physically strong, but works up to it over the series.
- Amelia Peabody from Elizabeth Peters – a strong independent woman, before society accepted such a woman.
- Ivy from the Wicked series – she can hold her own against the Fae in New Orleans.
- Karou from the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series – willing to sacrifice herself to save her friends.
- Diana Bishop from the All Souls trilogy – smart, brave, and a witch in love with a vampire.