Sometimes you just can’t finish a book, for one reason or another. Care to share those reasons with us, or maybe even tell us what book(s) you just could not finish?
I have a really hard time deciding to DNF a book. I feel like if I’ve already invested some time into it, I might as well see it through. I try to make my decision before about 25% through, but I have made it earlier at times. But it really depends on my mood and sometimes I just want to stop. An example of a book I DNF’d is The Casual Vacancy. I picked it up only because I loved the Harry Potter series so much. Well, after about 5 hours I just had to stop. It was so boring and I didn’t care about ANY of the characters and the book was so long that I just didn’t want to continue to waste my time.
Some reasons why I might DNF a book:
- Awful writing/editing.
- Characters are so despicable that I just want them all to die and don’t want to keep reading about them
- I’m bored, and maybe the book is very long that I just can’t deal with more boring.
- A topic I can’t deal with/won’t read about and I didn’t know that was in the book or wouldn’t have picked it up in the first place.
- I lost my place and don’t care to start over (seriously this has happened before when someone removed my bookmark).
- I took a long break and don’t remember anything I read previously, and don’t want to start over.
I have recently reached the point in my life where I just don’t care to read books that I have no interest in. There are too many books out there to be chained down to something I don’t want to read. I used to put some serious effort into finishing reading everything that I start. Heck, I spent 6 months reading Cold Mountain, hating every minute of it. But not any more. If a book doesn’t grab me right away, I am likely to just give up and not feel bad about it. I even set up a DNF shelf on Goodreads. Maybe I’ll go back to the books eventually, but meh, probably not.
The main reason for me not finishing a book would be lack of interest. I sometimes feel like I have the attention span of a gnat, and if a book doesn’t grab my attention pretty early on, something new and shiny is likely to catch my attention pretty quickly. I find poor writing/editing to be distracting, but not enough to stop reading a good book. But my generosity only goes so far. If I have to struggle through poorly written sentences or paragraphs, I’ll take a hard pass on that book.