For Father’s Day, let’s do like we did for Mother’s day at chat about the worst fathers we have read about. Books aren’t always positive and happy rainbows, right?
Sometimes we at Chapter Break go dark, and I think this is a bit of a dark topic. Some awful fathers or father-figures that come to mind:
- Lucius Malfoy from Harry Potter series. Because forcing your child to prove his worth by murder? Yea, messed up.
- Matilda‘s father, who keeps saying she should have been born a boy
- Lisbeth’s father from the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, so abusive that he turns her into a kick-ass who fights back
- That creep from ROOM. He’s no father, just a rapist and abductor.
Now for lists of lists!
- Publisher’s Weekly 10 Worst Dads in Books
- Penguin Randomhouse 11 Worst Fathers in Fiction
- A.V. Club Worst Fictional Dads, A to Z guideMr.
My winners for worst father of the year are:
- Valentine Morgenstern from Mortal Instruments. Not only did he pump his unborn children full of demon and\or angel ichor, that story that Jace tells about the hawk gets me EVERY TIME in the feels.
- Tywin Lannister from Game of Thrones. Tywin’s list of faults is long. For this post, let’s go with he’s not very loving towards Tyrion.
- Mr. Wednesday from American Gods. I’m not watching the series and I’m not sure how far along it is at this point, but let’s hope this isn’t too spoilery. Any father who would demand the sacrifices he asks for should not be a father.
Do you know any other winners for Worst Father of the Year?