Description: The second season of Shadowhunters returns with the Shadow World in upheaval with Valentine and the Circle continuing to grow stronger by the minute and our gang quickly becoming disillusioned with the Clave and their reaction to the recent events. Loyalties will be tested, unlikely bonds will be made, and relationships will be pushed to the limit as the Shadowhunters and their Downworlder friends make their own way in a new world.
Creator: Ed Decter
Staring: Katherine McNamara, Dominic Sherwood, Alberto Rosende, Matthew Daddario, Emeraude Toubia, Harry Shum Jr.
I need to talk about Shadowhunters Season 2 and Julie is 7 episodes behind. 7! I am moving on without her!
Season 2 of Shadowhunters has been a crazy, fun, roller coaster. And I’ve enjoyed every minute of it!
Here are some things I REALLY LOVED:
- The series has veered so far away from the books that I have no idea where it’s going, which is fantastic. I love not knowing what will happen next! The series has made changes, but also included some key points from the books. There have been some shocking deaths (Jocelyn, Hodge) that made me wonder if the creators and writers had read all of the books in the series. But we also have the essential scene of Simon becoming a Daylighter and that great scene with the Seelie Queen. The team running the series are clearly picking and choosing which aspects of the books to include, keeping watchers who are also readers on our toes!
- Sebastian is such a deliciously evil character and Will Tudor has made such an impression that I can’t wait to see what he does next! His introduction in Mea Maxima Culpa is fabulous. His attempt to hit on Clary is completely creepy that it left a serious impression on me. I hope this isn’t the last we see of Sebastian!
- The heartbreak of Malec splitting up is, yes, one of my favorite parts of the whole season.
I know. I know. Hear me out. Magnus and Alec are one of my favorite couples on the show and in the books. What I love here is the amazing acting between Matthew Daddario and Harry Shum Jr. Their emotional connection is palpable. I felt the heartache and betrayal between these characters.
I’m looking forward to season 3 to see this couple get back together, stronger than ever.
Here are some things I really DIDN’T LOVE:
- Izzy’s Yin Fin addiction is not a plot line I can get behind. First, Yin Fin isn’t even introduced in the Mortal Instrument series; it’s in the Infernal Devices series. Izzy has always been a strong characters. I don’t really understand the need to change her character so much. Sure, this plot line gave us more scenes with Raphael, and is our introduction to Sebastian. For those reasons only, I’ll accept this plot line. But I don’t have to like it.
- This season has been a dodecahedron of romantic entanglements and I was not a fan of Simon and Clary as a couple. #TeamClaceForever Why even was this a thing? I’m used to Simon having a crush on Clary. But she never reciprocated those feelings. Yes, their relationship did add depth to the scene at the Seelie Court where the Queen makes Clary choose between Simon and Jace. But otherwise, not a fan.
- I’ve accepted the fact that Luke is a cop in this series, and not a book seller. But Luke’s (police) partner’s investigation of Luke and his goings on with the wolf pack feels invasive. I hope it’s leading somewhere in season 3. Because otherwise, it was a complete waste of my time.
My Favorite Episode:
Mea Maxima Culpa is a top episode for me. After that long break between the two halves of season 2, this episode was great. My favorite episode, though, is Day of Atonement. I love seeing Simon and Maia at dinner with Simon’s family. On the Shadowhunter front, we have Clary and Jace portal to Lake Lyn, looking for Sebastian and Valentine. We learn who Sebastian really is. And we have Jace using his angelic superpowers to save Clary. So many great elements!
My thoughts overall:
I loved this season! And I’m super excited about the potential of season 3. Though, not so excited about waiting for the next season!