How do you decide whether to read a particular book? What makes that book your pick?
There is so much that goes into selecting which book to read next. So many factors, decision-making points, or outside “pressure” to read something specific.
When something decides for me:
- A book club book (if I ever start going to those again)
- Book I agreed to read and review
- Next new release in a series I have been devouring
- A friend is saying I must read this next now or else
When I have to decide:
- Cover/blurb of a new to me book can make me want to read it.
- Is it an author I love? Genre I’m addicted to?
- Mood. What am I sick of? Or more interested in (if deciding between books)?
- What is already downloaded on my device and showing up next? Sometimes it’s that simple.
How about you?
I agree with everything Julie says! Especially about books I’m obligated to read for book club or review.
I go through phases with my pleasure reading. I’m usually listening to a book from one genre while reading another from a different genre. I generally try not to read two books in a row from the same genre, and specially not at the same time. I’ve made that mistake a few too many times! I’ve been burned out lately on both YA and romance. Because of this, I’ve been specifically searching out books that do not fit either of those categories.
I select books to read based on Bookish Bingo each month. I need to mark off those squares each month!