Growing tired of reading the same exact story, but with different character names? What plot lines are you tired of reading?
There are a lot of tropes that get repeated these days, but in some cases it seems too much. Here are a few I’m growing tired of.
- The shy/misunderstood hero/heroine who comes to find out he/she is really something extraordinary and fantastical. This hero/heroine then goes on for so many chapters to deny what he/she just found out, until finally accepting it. Seriously, it is in every fantasy these days. Can we just start off with the character already knowing what kick-ass critter they already are and go from there? Pretty please?
- The borderline stalkerish/overly obsessed/scary in real life dude that the girl falls for. Come on. In real life that = rape, not sweet romance.
- The small band of characters in some fantastical or dystopic world are our only hope for saving ourselves from whatever. So they go on some epic quest (journey) where nothing happens but random crap along the way that derails them but they really don’t get anywhere and oh we have to follow them through multiple books until they find the one thing that will save us all.
I’m sure there’s more, but we’ll be here all day. Share some you are growing tired of.
Since I read alot of NA comtemporary romance, I sometimes feel like I end up reading the same things over and over again. Sure the names change (from Colton to Zane or from Syndey to Carter… you get my drift…these crazy NA names) but basically the plotline does NOT change. And therein lies the problem. I want new, original, thought-out story lines that keep me guessing. Some of the oft repeated plotlines that I have grown weary of reading:
- Hateful, abusive step-parent makes protagonist’s life a living hell and therefore, protagonist strikes out on her own only to end up living on the couch of a super sexy man-slut.
- The book boyfriend is a rockstar. What else?
- Girl is super pretty but totally unaware and the guy is such a bad ass that he has sensitive emo lyrics tattooed all over his forearms.
- Love at first sight/Insta-love (aka insta-lust)
- College student protagonst never has to work ever ever ever. WTF! Did I do college wrong!?
- Overly damaged characters learn to live and love again. Really, this is good. But it is getting a little old people.
- The main character is so innocent and good and there is always a bitchy, slutty-dressed girl after our heroine’s man. Slut shaming is so over used and frankly, a bit boring.
What are some plotlines you are growing tired of reading over and over again???