I run a book club. From time to time, I find it almost impossible to find good study guides/discussion questions for the books we are reading. So I thought I would share the study guides that I created myself and offer them for your use with your own book club. I do not mind if you use these, but would greatly appreciate feedback if you found them useful.
Discussion Questions for Out of Breath by: Rebecca Donovan
1. Consider some of the other YA books we have read that feature the main characters running. (i.e. Sky, Holder, Nastya Kashnikov). Why does Emma run?
2.Why does Emma drink?Is this out of character for her or inevitable? Is Emma an alcoholic?
3. Is Gev a nice guy? Is Cole?
4. Describe Emma’s three roommates. What do they look like? How do they act? Who is your favorite? Why?
5. In many NA books, there are good guys and then there are the d-bags. What about this series? Emma is lucky to have met Cole, Evan and Jonathan. All seem like good guys, but are they really? Are these guys realistic or do their characters fall flat?
6. Emma gets drunk on the flight home to Connecticut. A realistic possibility or do you call BS?
7. Emma’s mom does one good thing for Emma. Rachel Wallace brings Evan back to Emma. How so?
8. In the ocean, Emma finally makes the decision to breathe, to live. How is this scene in the ocean different from the scene in Emma’s old house with Carol trying to kill her?Both times Emma stopped breathing. How are these scenes similar? How are they different?
9. Why is it so hard for Evan to forgive Emma? Why does Emma try to convince Evan to hate her? Should Evan hate Emma? Did he ever hate her? Should he forgiven her?
10. Why does Evan come to California? Are his motives pure?
11. Discuss the ending. Are you satisfied with where this book left things? Why or why not? Would you recommend this series?