Let’s chat covers some more. What book covers just turn you off a book?
These types of things turn me off a cover.
- Swords. Only swords.
- Blurry weird floating heads.
- Bright crazy colors that blind.
- Unreadable fonts.
- Overly vulgar looking covers.
- Awkward positioning of characters.
- Overuse of a stock photo.
- Cutting off someone’s head.
Not exactly a turn-off, but a peeve of mine is if a book cover doesn’t state which # in a series it is. Especially for long series. Come on, give us some help here.
I completely agree with Julie’s list. Especially the number in a series one. That drives me crazy. As for my list:
- Bodice rippers / mostly naked men. I understand that some people are into this. I’d rather see some clothes on models than all that skin.
- Weird hybrid animals. Just hard pass on these.
- Fog / Mist.
- Awkward Photoshop cuts / blends.
- Bad titles. I love puns. That’s not the problem. It’s poor grammar and weird phrasing that bother me. Titles like “Hot and Bothered” do nothing for me.
- The same cover model of different books. Very deceptive!
How about you? Any major book cover turn offs?